Saturday, December 11, 2010

Dec. 9th - reflection...

Video of John at an outdoor playground.

Dec. 9th

This week I have been reading a devotional book on being a Mom.  God has used especially one of the short messages to support and encourage me as Ron and I begin our new life with John.   The thought expressed in the book relates to the impossible task of being the “perfect mom”.   The author suggests dropping the perfection standard and instead focusing on the fact God chose you to be the mother of your child. 
   
This thought ministers to me in a number of ways…first of all, no matter how adequate or inadequate I feel to be the mother of a Chinese boy, I know God has called me to this role.  Likewise, since God has called me to this role, He will equip me to do the job.  Being reminded of this fills me with a deep sense of freedom and peace…it reminds me of the first time I understood 2 Peter 3-5, “His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.  Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires”.   Understanding from this verse that God had already given me what I need to live in a way that is pleasing to Him took some pressure off.  It freed me to enjoy walking with God.   And I think it applies to the devotional that I read earlier in the week.  

I do still have fears.  I don’t know the path ahead…what will be the long-term consequences of John’s abandonment?  How will the 15 months of neglect on the 2nd floor of the orphanage affect him?  What are the outcomes of his long-term malnutrition?  

What I do know is that I love this little boy.  And I am grateful that God saw fit to put him in our lives. 

1 comment: