Thursday, January 13, 2011

Imitation...


                The other day I was feeding John with wet hair so I had a small hand towel wrapped around my shoulders.   I could tell he noticed my wet hair.  However, when he was released from the high chair and on his way to the den where his toys are kept, he grabbed the kitchen hand towel that was resting on the oven door and flung it around his shoulders.   He looked just like I did expect he didn’t have wet hair.

     What was so interesting to me is that I never would have realized that he even observed the towel around my shoulders.  There was no attention given to it what-so-ever.   And yet he imitated what he saw.   Not really knowing its purpose – he did it anyway. 

     John did something similar with the remote control for the TV.   He sat down on the couch, found the remote control and pointed directly at the TV expecting something to happen.  Since the TV wasn’t on,  nothing happened – but he had watched Ron function this way and wanted to do it also.   

 

     The apostle Paul wrote in the book of 1 Corinthians 11:1, “Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.”  This verse has become more meaningful to me as I have watched John “pick up” on actions that we did not intend for him to imitate.  

     Ron and I realize in a fresh way that impressionable eyes are upon us.   This had caused us to pray that our words and actions would be a solid foundation of love for John.  

PS.  Ron claims that the best way of getting John to go to sleep is to model it first.   He often will dose off giving John his bottle at night...evidenced by the following photos.  

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing to watch your kids imitate you. I always say that Chloe (my oldest daughter) is the best mirror I've got. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures of Ron and John are just precious!!

    ReplyDelete